A Brief History of Sandcross Church
Sandcross Church started during World War II as mission to children in Woodhatch and South Park, Reigate. A small team was sent from a church in Redhill which set up a weekly meeting in the cricket pavilion at Hartswood until they filled it! Not surprisingly their parents were also attracted, and the first meetings of the Church also took place in the pavilion.
By 1947, the adult group was large enough to buy the plot of land in Sandcross Lane – and build a wooden structure similar to an army mess hut! This became known as Sandcross Hall.
Ten years later the church had grown sufficiently to step out in faith to construct a new building which was dedicated by Lieutenant-General Sir William Dobbie in 1957.
The church continued to grow over the years and a large extension was added to the rear of the property in the late 1990’s to accommodate a new generation of people who meet to learn how to live with a Jesus-focus in our contemporary world.